2007-12-19

VIM

Overview:

Folding: This week I learned of a new feature called "folding". If I remember it correctly. It allows you to hide lines of code. You can either manually define what's to be hidden or you can specify certain syntax. So for instance you could hide all but the class names. If I understand it correctly you can then expand the class and see just the method names. And then show a particular method if you like. All very cool. I'm going to use that with some of the records I keep track of when I get the time.

General tips. I was burning time at the bookstore the other night. The shelves were full of books dedicated to M$ and non-free software. There were *nix books but they were too basic. I read one on Asterisk and decided I'd find better information online. Then I went to the magazine rack and looked at some *nix mags. I got through two of the three before I needed to go. The only thing those two mags had of interest, besides the adverts, were vim tips. Some were good. Like smart search. The mag was not worth buying just for some VIM tips especially when there are so many online. The following are what I consider most interesting.

No comments: