2007-12-19

Cases

I think there are only two options for server equipment.

The not so professional solution is to go with a tower. It's a pain to add more towers to your house. It does not scale well. However it will work. Towers that handle extended ATX motherboards are rare. For instance Antec only makes two.

  1. P190+1200
  2. Titan 650. I ordered this tower from Amazon, with the power supply, for $118. Unfortunately the shipping was almost another $80. Still this comes out to be almost $30 cheaper than what I can buy it from the local Fry's electronics. It handles MBs up to 12” x 13”.
I mention Antec since they have a reputation of producing quiet enclosures.

The more professional option in my mind is a rack. Antec makes a rack solution too. I'd love to have a rack solution that I can add more servers too as I expand. I'd like to have a separate server on the rack for each and every 24/7 service I run. Dream on... Notice how there are five rack mounted enclosures that can handle extended ATX motherboards. Rack Mounted Antec Enclosures.

There are probably many better solutions than Antec.

  1. Redundant power supply?
  2. Hot swap hard disks?
  3. Noise
  4. Ease of repair
  5. Produced by a company specializing in cases likely to always be in business.

No comments: